10 January 2008

Te Quiero Puta (Introduction)

So that anyone who looks at this blog will know what the hell I'm writing about without going back to entry # 1, I am copying part of this introduction into the "About Me" section. This will also save me from the painful task of filling up that box with information about myself.

In the Spring before my Sophmore year in college, I applied for a job at the chain Mexican restaurant in my hometown in Georgia. This was the restaurant where my highschool friend Lori and I had spent most of our time after class and colorguard practice taking up the same booth for hours, eating cheesedip, and laughing at our cute favorite waiter, José, who just happened to be working every single time we were there. When I became the restaurant's newest recruit two years later, I found that out of about 30 employees, almost all were illegal immigrants, that José's name was made up, and that the reason he was always there was that he worked 60 - 70 hours a week...they all did, and I did too.

For a year and a half, I worked there alongside people whom many Americans hate with passion. Most of the time, I was the only token white employee(the gringa, the guera, etc.), and one of few legal employees. It was there that I first learned what real work is, what real community is. Some of the best people I've ever known are buying fake social security numbers, making up names, and screwing our system for all they can. This blog is about the people I knew, what happened to them, and what is still happening with immigrants in America.

No comments: